Canva Templates is reader supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Great graphic design is powered by great font selection. But picking great fonts is a challenge for most people. Luckily, Canva has made adding great fonts to your designs much easier. In this tutorial, our team of design experts will cover the best Sans Serif fonts in Canva.
What are Sans Serif Fonts?
Sans serif fonts, as the name suggests, are typefaces that do not have the small projecting features called “serifs” at the end of strokes. The term “sans” comes from the French word meaning “without.” Here are some characteristics of sans serif fonts:
- Simplicity: Sans serif fonts are typically straightforward with clean lines. This simplicity often gives them a modern and minimalist look.
- Legibility: Because of their simple, unembellished design, sans serif fonts are often considered more legible than their serif counterparts, particularly on digital screens and at smaller sizes.
- Versatility: Sans serif fonts are very versatile. They can be used in a variety of contexts, from body text to headlines, and across a range of design styles.
- Geometric Shapes: Many sans serif fonts, such as Futura or Helvetica, are based on geometric shapes. This often gives them a uniform, balanced appearance.
- Neutral Tone: Sans serif fonts are often seen as more neutral or objective compared to serif fonts, which can have a more traditional, authoritative, or formal tone. This neutrality makes sans serif fonts a popular choice for business and academic contexts.
- Variety of Weights: Sans serif typefaces often come in a wide range of weights, from ultra light to extra bold. This variety allows for a lot of flexibility and contrast in design.
- Wide Spacing: Sans serif fonts often have wider letter-spacing, which can improve readability, particularly in digital formats.
Best Sans Serif Fonts in Canva
1. Alerta Stencil
Alerta Stencil is a rounded, sans-serif stencil typeface characterized by curves that soften its mechanical structure. This font gives a fresh, modern, and slightly playful feel.
2. Squada One
Squada One is a condensed, geometric sans-serif typeface. It’s characterized by tight spacing between letters, which gives it a solid, compact appearance. Its geometric, blocky design adds a modern, slightly technical aesthetic.
Gordita is a minimal, geometric sans-serif typeface. It’s known for its balance between friendly, approachable curves and confident, steady shapes. It is designed to work well in both text and display sizes.
Univers is a classic, neo-grotesque sans-serif typeface designed by Adrian Frutiger. It’s known for its clean, minimalist design and a wide range of weights and widths, making it highly versatile.
Raleway is an elegant, sans-serif typeface family. It’s characterized by its verticality and uniform stroke width. The uppercase has a unique design with a special ‘w’ and ‘v’ that makes it distinctive.
Blinker is a sans-serif typeface that is geometric and slightly condensed. It gives a modern, clean, and straightforward aesthetic suitable for both headers and body text.
7. HK Grotesk Pro
HK Grotesk Pro is a sans-serif typeface inspired by classic grotesques. It is known for its readability and versatility. It features nice, open counters and slightly condensed letters, making it suitable for both text and display use.
8. Cerebri Sans Bold
Cerebri Sans is a neo-grotesque sans-serif typeface with geometric aesthetics. It’s known for its excellent legibility and clean, modern appearance. The bold variant is particularly strong and assertive.
9. Open Sans
Open Sans is a humanist sans-serif typeface designed by Steve Matteson. It’s known for its wide apertures and large x-height, which contribute to its legibility and clarity at small sizes. It is neutral yet friendly and is suitable for a wide variety of applications.
Nunito is a balanced, sans-serif typeface family. It features rounded terminals and a soft, friendly aesthetic. It’s designed to work well in both text and display sizes, making it a versatile choice for many types of projects.
I hope you found this guide covering the best Sans Serif fonts in Canva, useful! Be sure to check out our blog for more article covering the essential tips, tricks, and advice for Canva! Also, if you haven’t already tried CanvaPro, you can try it for free for 30 days!