Disclosure: Some of the links in this article may be affiliate links, meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will receive a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Read our full affiliate disclosure here.
Great graphic design is powered by great font selection. But picking great fonts is a challenge for most people. Luckily, Canva has made adding great fonts to your designs much easier. In this tutorial, our team of design experts will cover the best punk Fonts in Canva.
What are 1920s Fonts?
The 1920s, also known as the “Roaring Twenties” or the “Jazz Age,” witnessed significant cultural and artistic shifts. Typography and fonts of the era reflected the Art Deco movement and the modernization happening during that time. Here are some characteristics commonly associated with 1920s fonts:
- Art Deco Influence: The Art Deco style, which emerged in the 1920s, heavily influenced typography of the period. Fonts featured geometric shapes, clean lines, and symmetrical designs. Art Deco fonts often conveyed a sense of elegance and sophistication.
- Streamlined and Modern: The 1920s marked a transition towards a more modern and streamlined aesthetic, which was reflected in typography. Fonts became less ornate compared to previous eras, with a focus on simplicity and clarity.
- Geometric Shapes: Geometric forms and shapes were prominent in 1920s fonts. Letters were often constructed using basic shapes such as squares, triangles, circles, and straight lines. This added a sense of precision and order to the letterforms.
- Tall and Thin: Many fonts of the 1920s featured tall and narrow letterforms. Ascenders (the parts of letters that rise above the x-height) were elongated, giving the fonts a vertical emphasis. This verticality was often achieved by extending the strokes of the letters.
- Artistic Flair: Despite the move towards simplicity, there were still elements of artistic flair in 1920s typography. Some fonts featured decorative elements, such as stylized serifs, swashes, or elongated tails on certain letters.
- Symmetry and Balance: Balance and symmetry were important design principles during the Art Deco era. Fonts of the 1920s often displayed a balanced arrangement of letterforms, with careful attention to proportions and spacing.
- Strong Contrast: Fonts of the era frequently exhibited strong contrast between thick and thin strokes, known as “stroke contrast.” This added visual interest and emphasized the geometric shapes within the letterforms.
- Experimental Variations: The 1920s saw the emergence of experimental typographic variations. Some fonts incorporated overlapping letters, distorted shapes, or unusual spacing to create unique and eye-catching designs.
Best Canva 1920s Fonts
Mak is a simple and elegant sans-serif font that is characterized by its clean lines and minimalistic design. It is a versatile font that can be used in a wide range of applications, from logos and branding to body text.
Pacifico is a cursive font that is inspired by the handwriting of the 1950s and 1960s. It features fluid, flowing lines and has a retro, nostalgic feel. It is often used in designs that evoke a sense of vintage or retro style.
Glassure is a decorative display font with a unique design that resembles the texture of glass. The letters are made up of a series of small, interlocking shapes that create a mosaic-like effect. The font has a futuristic and elegant feel, making it ideal for use in designs that require a modern and sophisticated look.
Metropolis is a sans-serif font that was designed in 1927 by German typeface designer and teacher, Ludwig Goller. It was heavily influenced by the Art Deco movement of the time, which is reflected in its geometric shapes and clean lines. The font gained renewed popularity in the 21st century and is often used in modern designs that aim to evoke the glamour and sophistication of the 1920s and 30s.
5. Awesome Lathusca
Awesome Lathusca is a unique and stylish serif font. Awesome Lathusca is well-suited for advertising, branding, logotypes, packaging, titles, headlines, and editorial design.
Reborn is a bold and expressive display font with an elongated, hand-drawn style. It features uneven, round lines and a whimsical appearance that is perfect for designs with a rebellious, non traditional feel.
7. Zag Thin Drops
Zag Thin Drops is a modern and elegant sans-serif font with a thin and delicate design. Its geometric shapes give it a contemporary feel, while its thin strokes make it highly legible and easy to read. It’s a great choice for creating clean and sophisticated designs, especially in fashion or editorial projects.
Badhorse is a decorative font. It is a display font that is intended to be used in larger sizes, such as for titles or headlines. The font has a unique, hand-drawn style with a lot of character, making it a popular choice for designs that require a bold and distinctive look.
Rockwell is a slab-serif display font with sturdy and bold letterforms, making it suitable for creating impactful and modern headlines.
10. Coco Biker
Coco Biker is a display font that features a bold and condensed style with a strong geometric structure. It is inspired by vintage motorcycle posters and has a strong, edgy look. The letters are all caps and have a distressed texture, giving it a worn and weathered appearance.
I hope you found this guide covering the best punk fonts in Canva, useful! Be sure to check out our blog for more article covering the essential tips, tricks, and advice for Canva! Also, if you haven’t already tried CanvaPro, you can try it for free for 30 days!