Great graphic design is powered by great font selection. But picking great fonts is a challenge most people. Luckily, Canva has made adding great fonts to your designs much easier. In this tutorial, our team of design experts will cover the best expanded fonts in Canva.
What Are Expanded or Extended Fonts?
Extended fonts, also known as wide or expanded fonts, typically share the following characteristics:
- Wide proportions: The letters in extended fonts are wider than normal, with a horizontal emphasis that makes them appear stretched or expanded.
- Spaciousness: The extra width in extended fonts creates a sense of openness and breathing room, making them ideal for headlines and titles that need to stand out.
- Bold and heavy: Extended fonts often have thick, heavy strokes that create a strong visual impact and help them stand out even more.
- Sans-serif or serif: Extended fonts can be either sans-serif or serif, depending on the designer’s preference. Sans-serif extended fonts tend to be more modern and clean, while serif extended fonts can have a more classic or traditional feel.
- High legibility: Despite their unique appearance, extended fonts are typically designed to be highly legible, with clear letterforms and ample spacing between characters.
- Limited use: Extended fonts are not typically used for body copy or large blocks of text, but rather for headlines, titles, and other short bursts of text where their impact can be fully appreciated.
- Variations: Some extended fonts have variations with different degrees of width, such as condensed or ultra-expanded versions, allowing for more flexibility in design.
Best Canva Expanded Fonts
1. TT Octosquares Expanded
TT Octosquares Expanded is a condensed display font with an extended character set. It features rounded corners and a unique, geometric design with octagonal shapes. The font is ideal for use in headlines, logos, and other display designs that require a modern, futuristic look. It is available in multiple weights and styles.
2. Century Expanded
Century Expanded is a serif font that is a variant of the Century font family. It has a classic, elegant look with wider letterforms and larger x-height. The serifs are bracketed, and there is a moderate stroke contrast between thick and thin strokes. It is often used for books, newspapers, and other printed materials.
3. Lazlord Slab Serif Expanded
Lazlord Slab Serif Expanded is a typeface with an extended width, adding extra space to each character. The serifs are thick and bold, giving it a slab-like appearance. The letters have a strong and solid structure, making it suitable for bold headlines and titles.
4. Serithai Expanded Medium
Serithai Expanded Medium is a Thai language font that is a variation of the Serithai font family. It has a bold and slightly condensed appearance, with slightly rounded edges on its letterforms. The font is suitable for display purposes and is commonly used for headlines, titles, and signage.
5. Gliker Expanded
Gliker Expanded is a sans-serif font that is a variation of the original Gliker font. It features wider spacing between the letters and slightly bolder lines, giving it a more modern and striking appearance. The font is ideal for headlines, titles, and any design that requires a bold and attention-grabbing look.
6. Pattanakarn Expanded
Pattanakarn Expanded is a font with a narrow and tall design. It has a slightly condensed appearance, with the letters standing tall and thin. The font features clean lines and curves, making it highly legible and suitable for a range of design projects. The expanded version has wider letter-spacing, making it suitable for headlines or other larger text. It is a modern font that works well in both digital and print formats.
7. TT Lakes Neue Expanded
TT Lakes Neue Expanded is a geometric sans-serif font designed by Ivan Gladkikh and TypeType Team. It has an expanded width and is characterized by its large x-height and narrow apertures. The font is available in various weights, from thin to black, and has a modern, clean, and minimalist appearance. It is suitable for use in headings, logos, posters, and other design projects that require a bold and impactful typeface.
8. TT Common Pro Expanded
TT Common Pro Expanded is a sans-serif typeface with a wide range of weights and styles. It has a modern and clean design with a slightly condensed appearance, making it a versatile typeface suitable for various applications. The expanded version has wider characters than the regular version, giving it a more spacious and open feel. It is ideal for headlines, titles, and other large text applications.
9. Prachason Neue Mon Expanded
Prachason Neue Mon Expanded is a modern sans-serif font that features a bold and expanded design. The font has a strong and stable appearance with well-defined characters and consistent spacing. It is suitable for use in various designs such as headlines, titles, branding, logos, and more. The expanded design of the font provides a modern and unique look to any design project.
10. Kooka Expanded
Kooka Expanded is a sans-serif typeface designed by Fabio Haag and published by Fabio Haag Type. It is an extended version of the Kooka font family, featuring a larger x-height and increased spacing, making it suitable for headlines and display use. The font has a contemporary and versatile feel with clean, rounded edges and is available in various weights.
I hope you found this guide covering the best expanded fonts in Canva, useful! Be sure to check out our blog for more article covering the essential tips, tricks, and advice for Canva! Also, if you haven’t already tried CanvaPro, you can try it for free for 30 days!