Canva Templates is reader supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Great graphic design is powered by amazing tools. Luckily, Canva has made creating custom graphic designs much easier for the average person. In this tutorial, our team of design experts will cover how to make a transparent overlay in Canva.
Using a transparent overlay in graphic design can make the design process more efficient and help you create more polished and professional designs.
What is a Transparent Overlay?
A transparent overlay in graphic design refers to a layer placed on top of an image or design that allows the user to see the underlying elements while still being able to add new design elements on the overlay. The overlay is transparent, meaning that it has no solid color or design on it that would block the view of the underlying image or design.-CanvaTemplates.com
Benefits of Using Transparent Overlay in Canva
- Allows for easier editing: By placing design elements on a transparent overlay, you can make changes to your design without affecting the original artwork or background. This is particularly useful when working with complex designs that require multiple layers and adjustments.
- Helps with alignment: When placing design elements on a background, it can be difficult to align them precisely. A transparent overlay allows you to position and adjust your design elements more accurately, ensuring that they are properly aligned.
- Provides a visual guide: A transparent overlay can act as a visual guide for your design. You can use it to create grids or lines that help you keep your design elements aligned and balanced.
- Enhances design presentation: If you are presenting your design to a client or team, a transparent overlay can help them better understand your design choices. By showing your design elements on a separate layer, you can highlight specific features or make it easier to explain your design choices.
How to Create a Transparent Overlay in Canva
1. Open a New Project in Canva
The first step in creating a transparent overlay in Canva is to open a brand new design project in Canva.
2. Create and Apply Your Design Background
Next, you want to create what will serve as the design background (or the image underneath the Canva overlay). For the purposes of this example we will use the following royalty free image from Unsplash:
Drag this image over your blank Canva design, and drop it to attach the image to your design background.
You can also move or at the image position by double clicking on the attached image and dragging it.
3. Choose Your Overlay Image Shape
Search under Elements for the shape that you want your overlay to be. If you are trying to apply the image overlay evenly across your background design, picking the rectangle is the easiest choice.
Add this shape to your design.
4. Adjust Shape Size & Color
Next, you need to adjust the shape so that you are properly covering the background image. If you are trying to cover the whole image, simply drag each side of the shape until it is large enough to cover the whole image:
You can also change the shape color.
5. Adjust Shape Transparency
You can now click on the shape and adjust its transparency.
Initially the shape will have a transparency of 100 meaning it is completely opaque). By decreasing the transparency you will be able to see the background image beneath your overlayed shape.
6. Save and Download Image
Last, save and download your new image for future use:
Sample Finished Designs (Various Colors and Levels of Transparency):
I hope you found this guide covering how to make a transparent overlay in Canva, useful! Be sure to check out our blog for more article covering the essential tips, tricks, and advice for Canva! Also, if you haven’t already tried CanvaPro, you can try it for free for 30 days!