Canva Templates is reader supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Sharing Canva folders is a great way to collaborate with others on your design projects. However, sometimes you may need to share a folder with someone who is not part of your team. This can be a bit tricky, but fortunately, Canva has made it easy to share folders with non-team members.
To share a Canva folder with a non-team member, you first need to create a shareable link. This link can be sent to anyone, even if they don’t have a Canva account. Once you’ve created the link, you can share it via email, social media, or any other platform you prefer. This makes it easy to collaborate with clients, contractors, or anyone else who needs access to your designs.
Understanding Canva Folders
What are Canva Folders?
Canva folders are a great way to organize your designs and keep them in one place. You can create folders for different projects, clients, or teams, and add designs to them as needed. Canva folders can be accessed from the homepage side panel, where you can see all your folders and designs at a glance.
Why Share a Canva Folder with a Non-Team Member?
Sharing a Canva folder with a non-team member can be useful in many ways. For instance, if you are working on a project with a client or a freelancer, you can share a folder with them and give them access to the designs they need. This way, they can view, edit, and comment on the designs, without having to create a Canva account or join your team.
To share a Canva folder with a non-team member, you can follow these simple steps:
- Click on the Folders tab on the homepage side panel.
- Hover your cursor over the folder you want to share and click the More icon.
- Select Share from the dropdown menu.
- Click the slashed eye icon beside the team name.
- Choose the type of permissions you want to give: can edit and share, can edit, or can view.
- Enter the email address of the person you want to share the folder with.
- Click the Send button.
Once you have shared the folder, the person will receive an email with a link to the folder. They can click on the link to access the folder and view the designs. If you have given them edit or share permissions, they can also make changes to the designs and share them with others.
Sharing a Canva Folder with a Non-Team Member
If you want to share a Canva folder with someone who is not a member of your team, you can do so by following a few simple steps. In this section, we will guide you through the process of sharing a Canva folder with a non-team member.
Step-by-Step Guide to Sharing a Canva Folder with a Non-Team Member
Log in to your Canva account and navigate to the folder that you want to share.
Click on the “More” icon located next to the folder name.
Select “Share” from the drop-down menu. In the “Share” dialog box, click on the “Get shareable link” button.
Copy the link provided and send it to the non-team member you want to share the folder with.
How to Control Access to a Shared Canva Folder
When you share a Canva folder with a non-team member, you can choose to control the level of access they have to the folder. Canva offers three levels of access: “Can view,” “Can edit,” and “Can edit and share.” Here’s how to control access to a shared Canva folder:
- After clicking on the “Share” button, click on the “Change” link next to the access level.
- Select the access level you want to grant to the non-team member from the drop-down menu.
- Click on the “Done” button to save your changes.
It’s important to note that the non-team member you share the folder with will need to have a Canva account to access the folder. If they don’t have an account, they will be prompted to create one when they click on the shared link.
Common Issues when Sharing Canva Folders with Non-Team Members
Sharing Canva folders with non-team members can sometimes be challenging, and you may encounter some common issues, including:
- Non-team members not being able to access the shared folder
- Non-team members not being able to edit the files in the shared folder
- Non-team members not being able to share the folder with others
These issues can arise due to various reasons, such as incorrect sharing settings, outdated links, or permission restrictions.
How to Resolve Issues when Sharing Canva Folders with Non-Team Members
If you’re experiencing any of the above issues, there are a few steps you can take to resolve them:
- Check your sharing settings: Ensure that you have shared the folder with the correct email address and that the sharing settings are set to “can edit” or “can view and edit” as appropriate.
- Update the link: If the non-team member is unable to access the folder, try updating the link by generating a new one. This can be done by clicking on the “Share” button and selecting “Copy link” to generate a new link.
- Check permission restrictions: If the non-team member is unable to edit the files in the shared folder, check the permission restrictions. Ensure that they have been given the appropriate editing permissions.
- Share the folder again: If all else fails, try sharing the folder again with the non-team member. This can be done by clicking on the “Share” button and selecting the email address of the non-team member.
By following these steps, you should be able to resolve any issues you encounter when sharing Canva folders with non-team members.
I hope you found this guide covering how to share a Canva folder with a non team member, useful! Be sure to check out our blog for more article covering the essential tips, tricks, and advice for Canva! Also, if you haven’t already tried CanvaPro, you can try it for free for 30 days!