Canva Templates is reader supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Great graphic design is powered by great font selection. But picking great fonts is a challenge for most people. Luckily, Canva has made adding great fonts to your designs much easier. In this tutorial, our team of design experts will cover the best varsity fonts in Canva.
What are Varsity Fonts?
Varsity fonts are commonly seen on team jerseys, school banners, cheerleading posters, and other sports or collegiate-themed materials. Varsity fonts are often associated with a sporty, collegiate aesthetic, have several distinctive characteristics:
- Slab Serifs: Varsity fonts typically have heavy, block-like serifs, often called slab serifs. These serifs make the letters highly visible and readable, which is why they’re often used on jerseys and sports gear.
- Bold Strokes: The letters in varsity fonts are often thick and bold, adding to their overall impact and visibility. They tend to stand out even from a distance.
- Capital Letters: Varsity fonts are often used in all capital letters to emphasize a word or phrase. The uppercase letters also contribute to the bold, commanding presence of these fonts.
- Angular Design: The letters in varsity fonts often have sharp, angular designs. They rarely use rounded shapes, which helps to enhance their robust, strong look.
- Simple and Straightforward: Varsity fonts are generally not intricate or overly complex. They’re meant to be clear and direct, contributing to their wide use in sports and school contexts.
- Two-Toned: Varsity fonts often come in two-toned styles, with a secondary color used as a border or shadow to give the text a 3D, layered effect.
Best Canva Varsity Fonts
1. Yearbook Outline
Yearbook Outline is a decorative, outline font with a vintage feel. It often has a playful quality and evokes nostalgia, making it perfect for designs aiming to evoke the mid-20th century.
Boxing is a font that is bold, impactful, and carries a sporty vibe. It is used for headlines or other places where you want to draw attention.
Pacifico is a friendly, rounded script typeface inspired by 1950s American surf culture. It was created by designer Vernon Adams and has a casual, relaxed feel, making it perfect for informal designs.
4. Intro Rust Base Shade
Intro Rust Base Shade is a grunge-style, rustic font family from Fontfabric. The Base Shade variant refers to a version with a particular texture or shadow effect, common for giving a vintage or weathered appearance.
Weston is a rounded slab-serif font with a slightly retro feel. Its distinctive features are its rounded, soft corners and edges that give it a friendly, approachable look. Despite these soft features, it still maintains the robustness and impact commonly associated with slab serif fonts. Weston can be an excellent choice for headers, logos, or anywhere you need a blend of modern style with a hint of vintage charm.
Sunborn is a font that brings to mind a sunny, cheerful feeling with rounded, flowing characters. It is best suited for designs that require a casual, friendly look.
Raleway is a sans-serif typeface originally designed by Matt McInerney and later expanded by Pablo Impallari and Rodrigo Fuenzalida. Its design is elegant and sophisticated, with a modern, geometric style.
8. Carter One
Carter One is a bold and condensed display font with strong geometric letterforms. It features sharp corners and angular strokes, giving it a modern and edgy look. The letters have a high contrast between thick and thin lines, creating a visually striking impact. Carter One is often used for headlines, titles, and other attention-grabbing typography.
9. Coming Soon
Designed by Open Window, Coming Soon is a casual, handwriting-like script font. It’s playful and informal, often used for invitations, notes, or any design project needing a personal touch.
Bowl is a unique and distinctive font known for its rounded, bowl-shaped letterforms. It has a playful and friendly appearance, often characterized by smooth curves and a uniform stroke width. The letters have a balanced and harmonious design, making it suitable for various creative and casual applications.
I hope you found this guide covering the best varsity fonts in Canva, useful! Be sure to check out our blog for more article covering the essential tips, tricks, and advice for Canva! Also, if you haven’t already tried CanvaPro, you can try it for free for 30 days!