Canva Templates is reader supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Great graphic design is powered by great font selection. But picking great fonts is a challenge most people. Luckily, Canva has made adding great fonts to your designs much easier. In this tutorial, our team of design experts will cover the best tracing fonts in Canva.
What is a Tracing Font?
Tracing fonts, also known as stencil fonts, have distinct characteristics that make them suitable for specific design purposes. These fonts are typically used for creating stencils or cut-out designs. Here are some common characteristics of tracing fonts:
- Open Spaces: The letters in tracing fonts usually have large, open spaces within them, making it easier to cut out the shapes cleanly.
- Simple Letterforms: Tracing fonts tend to feature simple and straightforward letterforms with minimal intricate details.
- Straight Lines: They often incorporate straight lines and geometric shapes to facilitate easy cutting and tracing.
- No Overlaps: Tracing fonts avoid complex intersections or overlapping elements to ensure that the stencil remains functional and easy to use.
- Uniform Width: Letters often maintain a consistent width for each stroke, aiding in the uniformity of the design.
- Minimal Serifs or Decorations: Tracing fonts typically have minimal or no serifs or decorative elements that could complicate the stencil creation.
- Legibility: While artistic flair is important, legibility remains a key factor, ensuring that the cut-out text or design remains recognizable.
- All-Caps Design: Tracing fonts are often designed in all capital letters, allowing for consistency and ease of tracing for each letter.
- Balance Between Positive and Negative Space: The balance between the solid letterforms and the open spaces within them is crucial for a successful tracing font.
Best Canva Striped Fonts
1. KG Primary Dots Lined
KG Primary Dots Lined is a dotted font with lines designed by Kimberly Geswein. It features rounded dots that are evenly spaced out and lined up with solid lines, which can be useful for young students who are learning to write. This font is commonly used for educational materials, such as worksheets, flashcards, and posters, as well as for scrapbooking and other creative projects.
2. Stenciliqo Extruded
Stenciliqo Extruded is a bold and impactful font with a stencil design that adds a touch of interest and texture to the font. The font is characterized by thick and chunky letterforms with a modern and industrial feel. The stencil design adds a three-dimensional appearance to the font, making it ideal for use in headlines, titles, and other display applications where a strong and dynamic look is desired. Overall
3. Dingos Stamp Outline
Dingos Stamp Outline is a decorative font designed by Typographer Mediengestaltung. The font features a stamp-like texture and a distressed, rough style, giving it a unique and vintage look. The letters are bold and chunky, with a hand-drawn feel, making it perfect for designs that require a rustic, handmade look.
4. Quad Line
Quad Line is a geometric sans-serif font with squared lines and edges, giving it a very modern and minimalistic look.
5. Vintage Modern
Vintage Modern is a font that combines both vintage and modern elements, often characterized by a sleek and sophisticated design that blends traditional serif or sans-serif letterforms with modern flourishes or embellishments. It may also incorporate vintage design elements like distressed textures or weathered edges to create a sense of nostalgia or timelessness.
6. Kompot Display Outline
Kompot Display Outline is a unique sans-serif font that features a hand-drawn style with a rough and uneven texture. The letters are bold and thick, with rounded edges and wide spacing. The outline version of the font creates a unique, vintage look that is perfect for a variety of design projects, including posters, logos, and branding materials.
7. Brim Narrow Combined 1
Brim Narrow Combined 1 is a condensed sans-serif font with a narrow width and clean, geometric lines. It has uppercase and lowercase letters, as well as numbers and a variety of symbols. The font is designed for use in titles, headlines, and other display purposes where space is limited and a modern, minimalist look is desired.
8. Londria Sketch
Londrina Sketch is a hand-drawn font that is characterized by its playful and informal appearance. It has a unique and distinctive style, with irregular letterforms and a hand-drawn influence that give it a friendly and approachable feel. Londrina Sketch is well-suited for designs that require a sense of creativity and informality, such as invitations, greeting cards, or social media graphics.
9. Bungee Shade
Bungee Shade is a display font that features a unique 3D shading effect. The characters appear as if they are popping out of the page, with a shadow cast below them. The font has a bold and playful style, with rounded edges and thick strokes. It is designed to be attention-grabbing and is well-suited for use in headings, titles, and other large text settings. Bungee Shade is part of the Bungee font family, which also includes Bungee Regular, Bungee Hairline, Bungee Inline, Bungee Outline, and more.
10. Sprite Graffiti Shadow
Sprite Graffiti Shadow is a display font designed to look like graffiti with a three-dimensional effect. The font features bold, thick lines with a rough and textured style, giving it an edgy and street-inspired look. The shadows behind the letters make them appear as if they are popping off the page, adding to the overall graffiti feel of the font.
I hope you found this guide covering the best tracing fonts in Canva, useful! Be sure to check out our blog for more article covering the essential tips, tricks, and advice for Canva! Also, if you haven’t already tried CanvaPro, you can try it for free for 30 days!