Canva Templates is reader supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Great graphic design is powered by great font selection. But picking great fonts is a challenge for most people. Luckily, Canva has made adding great fonts to your designs much easier. In this tutorial, our team of design experts will cover the best school fonts in Canva.
What are School Fonts?
School fonts, also known as educational or learning fonts, are designed with specific characteristics to aid young students in developing proper letter formation and readability. Here are some common characteristics of school fonts:
- Clear and Legible: School fonts prioritize clarity and legibility to assist young readers and writers in recognizing and understanding letters and words easily.
- Open Letterforms: School fonts often feature open counters (the enclosed spaces within letters), making it easier for students to distinguish between letters like “a,” “e,” and “o.”
- Simplified Shapes: The letterforms in school fonts are often simplified, with basic shapes that are easier for young learners to draw and recognize.
- Dotted and Traced Lines: Some school fonts include dotted or dashed lines within or around the letters, providing guidelines for proper letter formation and practicing handwriting.
- Letter Directionality Arrows: School fonts may include arrows or directional indicators to help students understand the correct direction for forming letters, particularly for cursive fonts.
- Consistent Stroke Width: Many school fonts maintain consistent stroke widths to promote uniform letter shapes and neat handwriting.
- Distinct Letter Forms: School fonts often emphasize distinctive letter forms to minimize confusion between similar-looking letters, such as “b” and “d.”
- Primary and Secondary Lines: Fonts designed for early elementary school often include primary and secondary lines, allowing students to practice proper letter sizing and spacing.
- Simplified Cursive Styles: Cursive school fonts typically have simplified and unconnected letterforms, as young students often begin with basic cursive before progressing to more complex styles.
- Developmental Stages: Some school fonts are specifically designed for different developmental stages, from kindergarten to higher grades, to match students’ evolving handwriting abilities.
- Suitable for Educational Materials: These fonts are commonly used in educational materials, worksheets, classroom resources, and handwriting practice sheets.
- Teacher-Friendly Resources: Many educational font packages include resources for teachers, such as handwriting worksheets, flashcards, and instructional materials.
- Accessible: School fonts aim to be accessible to students with various learning needs, including those who may benefit from clear and distinct letterforms.
Best Canva School Fonts
Nunito is a humanist sans-serif font designed by Vernon Adams. It is a well-crafted and versatile font that combines rounded and geometric design elements to create a friendly and modern typeface. Its legibility, range of weights and styles, and distinctive personality make it a practical and creative choice for a range of design applications, from body text to headlines.
Roboto is a sans-serif font designed by Christian Robertson. It has a clean and modern design with a geometric and technical feel, making it well-suited for digital and technology-related design applications.
3. Open Sans
Open Sans is a sans-serif font designed by Steve Matteson. It has a clean and modern design. One of the key features of Open Sans is its large x-height and open apertures, which contribute to its legibility at small sizes. It also has a wide range of weights and styles, from light to extrabold, and from normal to italic, making it a versatile font for a range of design contexts. The clean lines and subtle details of Open Sans give it a modern and minimalist feel, while its humanist design elements add a touch of character.
Poppins is a geometric sans-serif font designed by Jonny Pinhorn and Ninad Kale. It has a clean and modern design with a large x-height and distinctive geometric shapes, giving it a bold and assertive feel.
Nexa is a contemporary and geometric sans-serif font family that offers excellent legibility. With its clean lines and well-balanced proportions, Nexa is suitable for various applications, including branding, web design, and editorial content.
6. Madani Arabic
Madani Arabic is the new version of Madani with the addition of Arabic glyphs, for Arabic, Urdu, and Farsi. The basic form of Arabic font refers to the Arabic kufi style, with a geometric approach to harmony with Latin.
7. Cerebri Bold
Cerebri Bold is a contemporary sans-serif font with a bold weight and a distinctive design, featuring elongated strokes and sharp angles. Its unique appearance makes it ideal for branding and editorial design.
Lato is a humanist sans-serif font designed by Łukasz Dziedzic. It has a clean and modern design with a large x-height and open apertures, making it easy to read at small sizes. The font is characterized by its subtle rounded corners and smooth curves, giving it a friendly and approachable feel.
Nice is a simple and modern sans-serif font that’s clean and easy to read. It’s versatile enough to be used for a variety of projects, and its minimalist style makes it a great choice for a wide range of designs.
10. Zico Sans
Zico Sans is a versatile and modern sans-serif font with a slightly geometric design and excellent readability. Its clean lines and contemporary appearance make it suitable for a wide range of applications, including branding, web design, an
I hope you found this guide covering the best school fonts in Canva, useful! Be sure to check out our blog for more article covering the essential tips, tricks, and advice for Canva! Also, if you haven’t already tried CanvaPro, you can try it for free for 30 days!