Disclosure: Some of the links in this article may be affiliate links, meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will receive a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Read our full affiliate disclosure here.
Great graphic design is powered by great font selection. But picking great fonts is a challenge for most people. Luckily, Canva has made adding great fonts to your designs much easier. In this tutorial, our team of design experts will cover the best poster fonts in Canva.
What are Poster Fonts?
Poster fonts, also known as display fonts, are typefaces specifically chosen for creating impactful and attention-grabbing posters. The characteristics of poster fonts are geared toward making the text visually appealing and communicative in a large format. Here are some common characteristics of poster fonts:
- Bold and Eye-Catching: Poster fonts are typically bold or have a strong visual presence to ensure that the text stands out prominently in a poster layout.
- Large Size: These fonts are often used at larger sizes to fill the available space on the poster and to make the text easily readable from a distance.
- Variations in Weight: Poster fonts may come in various weight variations, including regular, bold, and extra bold, allowing for versatility in design.
- Sans Serif and Serif Options: Depending on the design theme and style, both sans-serif and serif poster fonts are popular choices. Sans-serif fonts convey a modern and clean look, while serif fonts can add a touch of sophistication and tradition.
- Condensed or Extended Styles: Some poster fonts are condensed or extended, allowing for efficient use of space or creating a more expansive and dramatic look, respectively.
- Decorative Elements: Poster fonts may incorporate decorative elements such as swashes, ornate serifs, flourishes, or unique letterforms to add visual interest and style.
- Customization: Some poster fonts include alternate characters and ligatures that enable designers to customize the appearance of the text for a unique and tailored design.
- Legibility: Despite their bold and decorative nature, poster fonts are designed to maintain good legibility, even when used at large sizes.
Best Poster Fonts in Canva
Avenir is a versatile sans-serif font with a balanced and elegant design, suitable for creating sophisticated poster layouts.
Garamond is a classic and elegant serif font, often used in posters for a touch of sophistication and timeless appeal.
Rockwell is a slab-serif font with bold and sturdy letterforms, ideal for creating impactful and modern poster headlines.
Cinzel is a decorative serif font with a classic and timeless look, making it suitable for elegant and vintage-style posters.
5. Oleo Script
Oleo Script is a script font with a bold and flowing style, often used in posters for a dynamic and energetic appearance.
Poppins is a clean and geometric sans-serif font with a modern and friendly appearance, suitable for a variety of poster themes.
Monoton is a decorative font with a retro and condensed design, perfect for vintage and nostalgic poster layouts.
Pacifico is a script font with a relaxed and beachy vibe, often used in posters for conveying a laid-back and fun atmosphere.
Montserrat is a versatile sans-serif font with a clean and modern look, suitable for a wide range of poster design applications.
Aleo is a contemporary serif font with a balanced and elegant design, making it suitable for sophisticated and stylish poster layouts.
I hope you found this guide covering the best poster fonts in Canva, useful! Be sure to check out our blog for more article covering the essential tips, tricks, and advice for Canva! Also, if you haven’t already tried CanvaPro, you can try it for free for 30 days!