Canva Templates is reader supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Great graphic design is powered by great font selection. But picking great fonts is a challenge most people. Luckily, Canva has made adding great fonts to your designs much easier. In this tutorial, our team of design experts will cover the best pixel fonts in Canva.
What is a Pixel Font?
Pixel fonts, also known as bitmap fonts, typically share the following characteristics:
- Pixelated appearance: Pixel fonts are designed to look pixelated, with individual pixels used to form the letterforms.
- Limited resolution: Pixel fonts have a limited resolution, which means that they are best suited to small sizes and low-resolution displays.
- Square or rectangular shapes: Pixel fonts often feature square or rectangular letterforms, with clean lines and sharp angles that give them a geometric appearance.
- Sans-serif: Most pixel fonts are sans-serif, which gives them a modern, streamlined look that is well-suited to contemporary design.
- High legibility: Pixel fonts are typically designed to be highly legible, with clear letterforms and ample spacing between characters.
- Limited variation: Pixel fonts tend to have a limited range of variation in terms of weight and style, as they are intended to be consistent and easily recognizable across different media.
- Limited use: Pixel fonts are not typically used for body copy or large blocks of text, but rather for headings, titles, and other short bursts of text where their pixelated appearance can be fully appreciated. They are commonly used in retro video game design, digital art, and other forms of visual communication that require a bold and retro style.
Best Canva Pixel Fonts
Onyx is a serif font designed by Gerry Powell and published by Monotype Imaging in 1937. It is known for its unique and distinctive diamond-shaped serifs and its elegant, classic appearance. Onyx is often used in book design and editorial work due to its legibility and readability, but it can also be used for headings and other design elements.
Basis33 is a geometric sans-serif typeface designed by Dutch type designer, Peter Verheul. It features clean lines and sharp angles, and was originally designed as a display font for posters and signage. Its contemporary design makes it a versatile choice for a wide range of graphic design projects.
Megapixel is a pixelated font that is designed to give a retro gaming feel. It features clean and sharp lines, and it’s perfect for use in arcade games, digital art, and other projects that require a pixelated look. The font is available in uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and basic punctuation.
Point is a pixelated font designed to look like characters from retro video games. It features a square, grid-like design with each character consisting of a series of pixels arranged in a specific pattern. It has a distinctive, nostalgic appearance and is often used in designs and projects that aim to evoke a sense of retro gaming culture.
5. Arcade Gamer
Arcade Gamer is a pixelated font that is commonly associated with retro video games. It features blocky characters with a distinctive 8-bit style. The font is designed to resemble the text found in classic arcade games and has a playful and nostalgic feel. It is often used in video game design, promotional materials, and other media related to retro gaming.
6. Architype Ingenieur Dot
Architype Ingenieur Dot is a font that is part of a larger family of typefaces called Architype. This particular variation features a dotted pattern overlaid on top of the bold sans-serif letters, creating a unique visual effect. The font is often used for design projects that require a modern, technical, or industrial look.
7. SCR-N-Five Tight
SCR-N-Five Tight is a sans-serif font with narrow proportions and a modern, technical feel. It features a geometric design with a slight squarish shape, making it suitable for designs that require a compact and sleek appearance. The font has a bold weight and sharp edges, making it ideal for titles and headlines that need to grab attention.
8. Nine by Five
Nine by Five is a pixelated font that features blocky and rounded letters reminiscent of retro video games. The font has a playful and nostalgic vibe and would work well for titles or headings in designs that aim to evoke a sense of fun and simplicity. The characters have a consistent pixel width, giving the font a distinct and recognizable style. Nine by Five is available in a single weight and includes uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and some punctuation.
9. FS Gravity
FS Gravity is a sans-serif display font designed by British typeface designer, Phil Garnham, and released in 2015. The font features bold, geometric letterforms with a distinctive angled shape, giving it a strong and impactful look. FS Gravity is available in six weights and supports both Latin and Cyrillic scripts.
Joint is a playful, graffiti-style font that features bold, rounded letters with rough edges and uneven strokes. It has a casual, hand-drawn feel and is commonly used for designs that require a youthful or edgy look. The font is available in both uppercase and lowercase letters, as well as numbers and some punctuation.
I hope you found this guide covering the best pixel fonts in Canva, useful! Be sure to check out our blog for more article covering the essential tips, tricks, and advice for Canva! Also, if you haven’t already tried CanvaPro, you can try it for free for 30 days!