Canva Templates is reader supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Great graphic design is powered by great font selection. But picking great fonts is a challenge most people. Luckily, Canva has made adding great fonts to your designs much easier. In this tutorial, our team of design experts will cover the best legible fonts in Canva.
What Are Legible Fonts?
Legible fonts are designed to be easily read and understood, even at a glance or from a distance. Some characteristics that contribute to the legibility of a font include:
- Clear letterforms: Legible fonts have distinct and unambiguous letter shapes, making it easy to recognize individual characters and distinguish between them.
- Adequate spacing: Proper spacing between letters (kerning), words, and lines (leading) helps maintain readability and prevents letters from merging together or creating visual clutter.
- Moderate contrast: Legible fonts generally have a moderate level of contrast between the thickness of strokes within the letterforms. Too much contrast may cause the thinner strokes to disappear, while too little can make the text appear heavy and difficult to read.
- Consistent stroke width: Fonts with consistent stroke widths are generally more legible, as they create a uniform appearance and don’t strain the reader’s eyes.
- Simple and uncluttered design: Legible fonts avoid overly decorative or intricate details that can hinder readability.
- Open counters and apertures: Fonts with open counters (the enclosed or partially enclosed areas within letters like ‘a’ or ‘o’) and apertures (the openings in letters such as ‘e’ or ‘c’) facilitate recognition and enhance legibility.
- Proper x-height: A font’s x-height, which is the height of lowercase letters like ‘x’ or ‘a,’ should be proportionate to the overall size of the font. A larger x-height typically improves legibility, particularly at smaller sizes.
- Distinctive letterforms: Legible fonts ensure that characters with similar shapes (e.g., ‘l’ and ‘1’ or ‘O’ and ‘0’) are easily distinguishable from one another.
- Balanced proportions: Legible fonts have balanced proportions between the width and height of characters, as well as the space between them, to ensure a harmonious and comfortable reading experience.
- Suitable for various sizes and mediums: A legible font should maintain its readability across a range of sizes and on different mediums, such as newspapers, magazines, and digital displays.
Best Easy to Read Canva Fonts
1. Zico Sans
Zico Sans is a versatile and modern sans-serif font with a slightly geometric design and excellent readability. Its clean lines and contemporary appearance make it suitable for a wide range of applications, including branding, web design, and editorial content.
Nunito is a friendly and approachable sans-serif font with a slightly rounded design, giving it a warm and casual appearance. Its excellent readability makes it perfect for projects that require a more informal touch, such as logos, websites, or marketing materials.
3. Lato Bold
Lato Bold is a variant of the popular Lato sans-serif font, featuring a heavier weight and strong, clear letterforms. Its clean lines and modern design make it suitable for various applications, such as branding, web design, and editorial content.
4. Seol Sans
Seol Sans is a modern, minimalist Korean sans-serif font that emphasizes simplicity and readability. With its clean and uniform strokes, this font is ideal for contemporary designs, user interfaces, and digital applications where legibility is key.
Charlevoix is a geometric sans-serif font with a blend of modern and vintage elements. It features a strong, bold structure and subtle rounded edges, making it well-suited for branding, logos, and headlines.
6. Avenir Next Thai Modern
Avenir Next Thai Modern is a contemporary and sleek typeface that combines Avenir Next with a modern Thai script. It is characterized by clean lines and a geometric structure, making it ideal for use in both digital and print media.
Inter is a highly-legible, open-source sans-serif typeface optimized for user interfaces and digital screen readability. It offers a neutral and unobtrusive design that allows it to blend seamlessly with various contexts and layouts.
Rubik is a versatile sans-serif typeface with slightly rounded corners, giving it a friendly and modern appearance. Designed for on-screen readability, Rubik is suitable for both display and body text usage.
9. Varela Round
Varela Round is a geometric sans-serif font featuring rounded terminals, giving it a warm and soft appearance. It is well-suited for user interfaces, logos, and headlines, offering a friendly and approachable feel.
10. Helvetica Hebrew
Helvetica Hebrew is a clean, highly legible sans-serif Hebrew font that offers a modern and professional appearance. As an adaptation of the iconic Helvetica typeface to support Hebrew script, it maintains the same clarity, balance, and timeless aesthetic that has made Helvetica a classic choice for various applications, such as web design, user interfaces, and printed materials, where clarity and a contemporary look are essential.
I hope you found this guide covering the best legible fonts in Canva, useful! Be sure to check out our blog for more article covering the essential tips, tricks, and advice for Canva! Also, if you haven’t already tried CanvaPro, you can try it for free for 30 days!