Canva Templates is reader supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Great graphic design is powered by great font selection. But picking great fonts is a challenge for most people. Luckily, Canva has made adding great fonts to your designs much easier. In this tutorial, our team of design experts will cover the best Grotesque fonts in Canva.
What are Grotesque fonts?
Grotesque fonts, originating from the 19th-century typography, are an early form of sans serif typefaces that still maintain popularity in various design contexts. Here are some of their defining characteristics:
- Lack of Serifs: Grotesque fonts are sans-serif, meaning they lack the small feet or strokes at the end of letterforms found in serif fonts.
- Uniform Thickness: Grotesque typefaces typically have a uniform stroke width, which gives them a sturdy, solid appearance.
- Closed Apertures: The openings in letterforms (like ‘e’ or ‘a’) in grotesque fonts are often narrow, or somewhat closed off, which is a distinguishing characteristic.
- Double-storey ‘a’ and ‘g‘: These fonts often have a two-storey (double enclosure) design for lower-case ‘a’ and ‘g’, in contrast to the single-storey designs common in later sans-serif styles.
- Square Shape: Letters in grotesque fonts often have a squarish shape, especially notable in the rounded characters, giving them a more compact appearance.
- Line Terminal: The terminals (end of strokes) in grotesque fonts are typically horizontal or slightly inclined.
- Minimal Contrast: Grotesque fonts have minimal to no contrast between the thickness of the strokes in a letter, which is different from the noticeable contrast in “humanist” or “old style” fonts.
- Variety in Widths: Unlike neo-grotesque fonts which aim for a more uniform appearance, original grotesque fonts often feature a variety of widths within a single font family.
Best Canva Grotesque Fonts
Arial is a widely used sans-serif font with a clean and legible design, often used in digital and print materials.
Univers is a versatile grotesque font known for its extensive family of weights and styles, making it suitable for a range of design applications.
Avenir is a contemporary grotesque font with a clean and elegant appearance, often used in print and digital media.
4. Gill Sans
Gill Sans is a versatile sans-serif font with a clean, humanist design, ideal for various design projects.
Gilroy is a modern grotesque font with a clean and versatile design, often used in digital and print materials.
7. Bebas Neue
Bebas Neue is a bold and condensed grotesque font often selected for posters and display typography.
Rubik is a modern grotesque font with a geometric and playful look, making it suitable for a variety of design applications.
Nexa is a versatile grotesque font with a modern appearance and a wide range of weights and styles.
Lato is a contemporary grotesque font with a versatile and modern design, popular for digital and print materials.
I hope you found this guide covering the best Grotesque fonts in Canva, useful! Be sure to check out our blog for more article covering the essential tips, tricks, and advice for Canva! Also, if you haven’t already tried CanvaPro, you can try it for free for 30 days!