Disclosure: Some of the links in this article may be affiliate links, meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will receive a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Read our full affiliate disclosure here.
Great graphic design is powered by great font selection. But picking great fonts is a challenge most people. Luckily, Canva has made adding great fonts to your designs much easier. In this tutorial, our team of design experts will cover the best gaming fonts in Canva.
What Are Gaming Fonts in Canva?
Gaming fonts are used in video games and other gaming-related media to convey a sense of excitement, energy, and action. Some of the characteristics of gaming fonts are:
- Bold and dynamic: Gaming fonts are often bold and dynamic, with thick lines and sharp angles that create a sense of movement and energy.
- Futuristic or sci-fi inspired: Many gaming fonts have a futuristic or sci-fi inspired design, with letters that resemble alien or futuristic technology. This helps to create a sense of immersion in the game’s universe.
- Distinctive design: Gaming fonts often have a distinctive design that sets them apart from other fonts. This can help to create a strong brand identity for the game or the gaming company.
- Strong contrast: Gaming fonts often have a high contrast between the thick and thin strokes of the letters. This helps to make the text stand out and adds visual interest.
- Display font: Gaming fonts are often used as display fonts, meaning they are used for headlines, logos, and other prominent text. This allows them to create a strong visual impact and grab the viewer’s attention.
- Customizable: Many gaming fonts are customizable, with different variations and styles that can be used to create different effects. This allows designers to create a unique look and feel for their game.
- Legible: Despite their bold and dynamic design, gaming fonts are still designed to be legible and easy to read. This ensures that important information, such as scores or instructions, can be easily understood by the player.
Best Gaming Fonts in Canva
1. Nine by Five
Nine by Five is a digital typeface that was designed by Jim Lyles in 1991. It is a bitmap font, which means that it is created using a grid of pixels, rather than vector shapes. The name “Nine by Five” refers to the dimensions of the font, which is 9 pixels wide and 5 pixels tall.
Retropix is a bitmap-style font created by the designer Goma Shin. It is inspired by old-school pixel art and video games and features a distinctive blocky, pixelated appearance. Retropix is often used in designs that aim to evoke a sense of nostalgia or retro aesthetic.
3. Game Station Condensed
Game Station Condensed is a display font that was designed to emulate the look of old video game console lettering. It has a condensed, bold style that is similar to the fonts used on game cartridges, packaging, and marketing materials from the 1980s and 1990s. The font features straight edges and sharp corners, which give it a futuristic, technological look that was popular during the era. It can be a great choice for designs or projects that are inspired by the aesthetics of classic video games.
4. Arcade Gamer
Arcade Gamer is a pixelated, bitmap font that is reminiscent of the type of fonts used in old arcade games. It has a retro, 8-bit style that can add a nostalgic feel to designs or projects that reference classic video games. The font typically features blocky characters with a limited number of pixels, giving it a distinct and recognizable look.
5. JetBrains Mono
JetBrains Mono is a monospaced font developed by JetBrains, the company behind popular development tools like IntelliJ IDEA and PyCharm. It has a clean, modern look and includes a number of features designed specifically for coding, such as ligatures and customizable character widths.
6. Anca Coder
Anca Coder is a monospaced font that was specifically designed for use in software development. It has a clean, modern look and is designed to be easy to read at small sizes.
7. Aliens and Cow
Aliens and Cow is a monospaced font with a fun, whimsical look. It includes a number of unusual characters and is suitable for use in creative and playful contexts.
8. Roboto Condensed
Roboto Condensed is a condensed version of the Roboto font family, developed by Google. It has a clean, modern look and is designed to be easy to read on both screen and print.
Cousine is a monospaced font developed by Ascender Corporation that is similar in style to the popular Verdana font. It has a clean, modern look and is designed to be easy to read at small sizes.
10. Space Mono
Space Mono is a monospaced font developed by Colophon Foundry that is designed to be easy to read on both screen and print. It has a retro-futuristic look and includes a wide range of characters, including Cyrillic and Greek.
I hope you found this guide covering the best gaming fonts in Canva, useful! Be sure to check out our blog for more article covering the essential tips, tricks, and advice for Canva! Also, if you haven’t already tried CanvaPro, you can try it for free for 30 days!