Disclosure: Some of the links in this article may be affiliate links, meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will receive a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Read our full affiliate disclosure here.
Great graphic design is powered by great font selection. But picking great fonts is a challenge for most people. Luckily, Canva has made adding great fonts to your designs much easier. In this tutorial, our team of design experts will cover the website fonts in Canva.
What are Website Fonts?
Fonts play a critical role in website design, impacting readability, user experience, and overall aesthetics. Here are some characteristics of fonts that are good for websites:
- Readability: The primary consideration for web fonts is readability. Choose fonts that are easy to read, even at various screen sizes and resolutions. Sans-serif fonts like Arial, Helvetica, or Roboto are often preferred for body text due to their readability on screens.
- Legibility: Legibility refers to how easily individual characters are distinguished from one another. Select fonts with clear and distinct letterforms to ensure readers can quickly identify and understand the text.
- Responsive Design: Fonts should work well with responsive design principles, adapting seamlessly to different screen sizes and orientations. They should remain legible on both desktop and mobile devices.
- Appropriateness: The choice of font should align with the website’s purpose and content. For example, a formal website might benefit from serif fonts, while a modern tech site could opt for sans-serif fonts.
- Font Weight and Style: Use a variety of font weights and styles (bold, italics, etc.) to add emphasis and hierarchy to your content. This helps users quickly scan and understand the information.
- Consistency: Maintain font consistency throughout your website. Use a limited number of fonts and styles to create a cohesive and professional look. A typical rule of thumb is to use two fonts: one for headings and one for body text.
- Loading Speed: Consider web font file sizes and loading times. Web fonts should not significantly slow down your website’s loading speed. Optimized and web-ready fonts are crucial for a smooth user experience.
- Accessibility: Ensure that your chosen fonts meet accessibility standards. They should provide good contrast between text and background and be legible to users with visual impairments. Use web-safe colors for text and backgrounds.
Best Fonts for Website in Canva
Roboto is a clean and modern sans-serif font designed for screen readability. It’s a popular choice for websites and mobile apps.
2. Open Sans
Open Sans is a humanist sans-serif font known for its clarity and legibility, making it suitable for various website content.
Lato is a sans-serif font with a friendly and open appearance. It’s a versatile choice for web content, including body text and headings.
Montserrat is a sans-serif font with geometric influences. It’s clean and stylish, making it a great choice for headings and modern websites.
Merriweather is a serif font designed for web content, with a focus on readability and elegance.
Nunito is a rounded sans-serif font that provides a friendly and approachable feel, suitable for a variety of website styles.
7. Playfair Display
Playfair Display is a serif font known for its elegance and suitability for headings, especially on websites with a sophisticated or artistic theme.
Poppins is a sans-serif font with a modern and friendly appearance, making it a good choice for websites with a contemporary feel.
Arvo is a serif font with a unique and distinctive design that can add character to headings and other elements on a website.
Oswald is a bold and attention-grabbing sans-serif font, suitable for impactful headings and banners on websites.
I hope you found this guide covering the best website fonts in Canva, useful! Be sure to check out our blog for more article covering the essential tips, tricks, and advice for Canva! Also, if you haven’t already tried CanvaPro, you can try it for free for 30 days!