Disclosure: Some of the links in this article may be affiliate links, meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will receive a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Read our full affiliate disclosure here.
Great graphic design is powered by great font selection. But picking great fonts is a challenge for most people. Luckily, Canva has made adding great fonts to your designs much easier. In this tutorial, our team of design experts will cover the best fonts for students in Canva.
What are Student Fonts?
“Student fonts” is not a specific category of fonts like serif or sans-serif; instead, it refers to fonts that are commonly chosen by students for various academic and creative purposes. The characteristics of fonts often preferred by students can include:
- Readability: Student fonts are typically easy to read, both in print and on digital screens. Clarity is essential for reading textbooks, research papers, and online articles.
- Serif or Sans-serif: Many students prefer sans-serif fonts like Arial or Helvetica for digital content because of their clean and modern appearance. However, serif fonts like Times New Roman or Georgia are often preferred for printed academic papers due to their traditional and professional look.
- Legibility: Legible fonts have clear distinctions between letters, making it easier for students to discern characters like ‘l’ and ‘1’ or ‘O’ and ‘0.’
- Appropriate Line Spacing: Student fonts often have adequate line spacing to prevent text from appearing crowded or too spread out, ensuring comfortable reading.
- Variety of Styles: Fonts for students can come in a variety of styles, including regular, bold, italic, and bold italic, providing versatility for different formatting needs.
- Accessibility: Student fonts should be accessible and compatible with various devices and screen readers to accommodate students with disabilities.
- Professional Appearance: When creating academic papers or presentations, students often prefer fonts that have a professional and formal appearance.
- Web Compatibility: For students creating online content, fonts that are web-safe and readily available across different browsers and devices are essential.
- Versatility: Versatile fonts can be used for various purposes, from designing presentations and reports to crafting creative projects and posters.
- Free or Affordable: Given the student budget constraints, free or affordable fonts are often favored.
Best Student Fonts in Canva
Lato is a versatile sans-serif font with a clean and modern appearance. It’s suitable for a range of academic purposes.
Georgia is a serif font designed for on-screen reading. It’s a good choice for longer texts, such as research papers.
3. Open Sans
Open Sans is a sans-serif font that’s both modern and highly legible. It’s a good choice for online materials.
Roboto is a modern sans-serif font designed for screen readability. It’s a good choice for online documents and presentations.
Garamond is a classic serif font with a timeless and elegant appearance. It’s often used for printed materials.
6. Libre Baskerville
Libre Baskerville is a classic serif font with a timeless and elegant design. It’s often used in printed materials.
7. PT Serif
PT Serif is a serif font that combines readability with a modern design. It’s suitable for academic papers and presentations.
Montserrat is a clean and versatile sans-serif font that can work well for academic presentations and online content.
9. PT Sans
PT Sans is a sans-serif font that combines clarity with a modern style, making it suitable for digital and print use.
Nunito is a friendly and modern sans-serif font with a rounded design, making it a good choice for digital content and presentations.
I hope you found this guide covering the best fonts for students in Canva, useful! Be sure to check out our blog for more article covering the essential tips, tricks, and advice for Canva! Also, if you haven’t already tried CanvaPro, you can try it for free for 30 days!