Canva Templates is reader supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Great graphic design is powered by great font selection. But picking great fonts is a challenge most people. Luckily, Canva has made adding great fonts to your designs much easier. In this tutorial, our team of design experts will cover the best Filipino Fonts in Canva.
What Are Filipino Fonts?
Filipino fonts, also known as Baybayin fonts, are unique in their design and have several distinct characteristics. Some of these characteristics include:
- Angular shapes: Baybayin scripts are made up of angular shapes that form letters, which are similar to the shapes of ancient Arabic or Sanskrit scripts.
- Connected letters: Baybayin letters are usually connected to each other, creating a flowing and continuous script.
- Diacritical marks: Baybayin scripts use diacritical marks to indicate vowel sounds, similar to other Southeast Asian scripts.
- Horizontal lines: Baybayin scripts contain several horizontal lines that help distinguish between letters and words.
- Symmetrical shapes: Baybayin letters are often symmetrical, with similar shapes on both sides of the vertical axis.
- Rounded edges: Some Baybayin scripts have rounded edges, which gives them a softer appearance compared to other Southeast Asian scripts.
- Decorative elements: Some Baybayin fonts have decorative elements, such as dots or curls, that add complexity and visual interest to the letters.
Best Fonts in Canva for Filipino Style Design
1. Matatas One
MATATAS ONE is a free bayabyin typeface. Playing as a sequel to Malibata Neue, this typeface has a modern, geometric design, while following the baybayin writing system more fluently and with ease, compared to the previous fonts. This font is powered by ligatures for more accuracy in switching from Filipino Alphabet to Baybayin.
Anahaw is another new display typeface inspired by the unofficial Philippine National Leaf—the Anahaw. The leaf has been used as pambalot (food wrapper) for tikoy, or as a makeshift lunchbox. It has been made into an Abaniko (fan), which is very beautiful and a work of art
The Kundiman is a traditional means of serenade in the Philippines. Imbued with dramatic intervals and a flowing rhythmic melody, Kundiman love songs are riddled with passion, and as such became our source of inspiration in creating our custom font “Kundiman Display.”
4. Cubao Narrow
Cubao Font is a Display Typeface also dedicated to Filipino Sign makers, Jeepney drivers, and the daily commuters of Metro Manila and anywhere in the Philippines. Like the previously published typeface ‘Quiapo Free’, Cubao Free was inspired by the signboards hung on Jeepneys, SUVs, Buses, and other transport vehicles within and outside the Metro.
5. Paalalabas Condensed
Paalalabas Condensed is the Condensed family, which is part of the superfamily along with Normal, Semi Condensed, and Extra Condensed, each with 9 weights.
Belina is a calligraphic script display font that may be used for titles, logos, headers, and stylized text with a dainty painterly feel.
Maragsâ Serif Font is a modern bold serif typeface called Weiss roman. Its form to one of the accent marks used as a guide to the correct pronunciation of Filipino words—the pakupyâ accent—whose tapered tips heralded the sharp edges, hastily-flowing strokes, and abrupt cuts in the characters, similar to the manner words with the stress should be spoken.
Zenaida is a unique and versatile display serif typeface with organic features with 4 different styles to choose from.
9. Bantayog Light
Bantayog LightBantayog is a rough, all-caps, sans-serif typeface based on the characters repainted over the worn-out, cast iron text about significant events in the past and the lives of prominent national figures narrated on Philippine historical markers.
Batangas Sans Serif is a bold sans-serif display font manufactured by Hanken Design Co. Bringing a strong yet elegant atmosphere with a modern style. Batangas typeface was inspired by the strong character of the people of Batangas (Batangueños). This is evident in their culture, traditions, and iconic symbols.
I hope you found this guide covering the closest Friends font in Canva, useful! Be sure to check out our blog for more article covering the essential tips, tricks, and advice for Canva! Also, if you haven’t already tried CanvaPro, you can try it for free for 30 days!