Canva Templates is reader supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Great graphic design is powered by great font selection. But picking great fonts is a challenge for most people. Luckily, Canva has made adding great fonts to your designs much easier. In this tutorial, our team of design experts will cover the best elegant fonts in Canva.
What are Elegant Fonts?
Elegant fonts are characterized by their refined and sophisticated appearance. They convey a sense of beauty, grace, and luxury. Here are some common characteristics of elegant fonts:
- Thin Strokes: Elegant fonts often feature thin and delicate strokes that contribute to a sense of lightness and grace. These thin lines are carefully designed to maintain readability while adding an air of sophistication.
- High Contrast: Many elegant fonts have a high contrast between thick and thin strokes. This contrast creates visual interest and adds to the overall elegance of the typeface.
- Serifs: Elegant fonts often belong to the serif category, which means they have small decorative lines or strokes at the ends of characters (serifs). Serifs can give a font a classic and refined appearance.
- Cursive or Script Styles: Script or cursive fonts are inherently elegant due to their flowing and connected letterforms. They can mimic the look of handwritten calligraphy, adding a touch of artistry.
- Tall X-Height: Some elegant fonts have a taller x-height, meaning the height of lowercase letters relative to uppercase letters is increased. This can create a more graceful and elongated appearance.
- Curved and Flourished Letterforms: Elegant fonts often feature gracefully curved letterforms and may include decorative flourishes or swashes on certain characters.
- Open Apertures: The apertures (the openings in characters like “e,” “c,” and “s”) in elegant fonts are often more open, contributing to better legibility and a sense of airiness.
- Symmetry: Elegant fonts are often meticulously balanced and symmetrical, with consistent spacing between characters and even proportions.
- Ligatures: Some elegant fonts include ligatures, which are special characters that combine two or more letters in an aesthetically pleasing way, enhancing the overall look of the text.
- Tapered Terminals: The terminals (end points) of characters in elegant fonts may taper delicately, adding to their refined appearance.
- Large Character Set: Elegant fonts often include a wide range of characters, including special characters and glyphs, which make them versatile for various design applications.
- Readability: Despite their decorative elements, elegant fonts maintain good readability, ensuring that they can be used for both headlines and body text in a sophisticated manner.
Best Elegant Fonts in Canva
1. Snell Roundhand
Snell Roundhand is an elegant cursive font, known for its flowing and graceful letterforms.
Garamond is a graceful and highly legible serif font with a long history of use in print and digital media.
3. Bodoni FLF
Bodoni FLF is a classic serif font known for its high contrast between thick and thin strokes and its timeless elegance.
4. Didot LP
Similar to Bodoni, Didot LP is a modern serif font with a delicate, high-contrast design and a touch of luxury.
Optima is a sans-serif font with a unique blend of elegance and readability, making it suitable for a variety of design projects.
Lato is a versatile sans-serif font with an elegant and balanced design, making it suitable for various applications.
Cinzel is a decorative serif font with a classic and elegant appearance, ideal for headings and titles.
8. Playfair Display
Playfair Display is a serif font with a high-contrast design and an elegant, vintage look.
Aleo is a serif font known for its elegance and versatility, making it suitable for various design applications.
Avenir is a modern sans-serif font known for its elegance and versatility in both print and digital media.
I hope you found this guide covering the best elegant fonts in Canva, useful! Be sure to check out our blog for more article covering the essential tips, tricks, and advice for Canva! Also, if you haven’t already tried CanvaPro, you can try it for free for 30 days!