Canva Templates is reader supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Great graphic design is powered by great font selection. But picking great fonts is a challenge for most people. Luckily, Canva has made choosing great fonts for your designs much easier. In this tutorial, our team of design experts will cover the best comic fonts in Canva.
What are Comic Fonts?
Comic fonts are a type of typography often used in comic books, graphic novels, cartoons, and other similar media. These fonts are generally intended to be fun, expressive, and sometimes dramatic to match the art and tone of the stories they are used in. Here are some of their characteristics:
- Hand-drawn Appearance: Many comic fonts mimic the look of traditional hand-lettering, even if they are digitally created. This gives them a personalized, casual, and playful look.
- Bold and Thick Strokes: Comic fonts typically have bold, thick lines and strokes which makes them stand out and easy to read, even when printed on colorful or cluttered backgrounds.
- Variable Letter Shapes: Unlike more formal typesets, comic fonts often have a high degree of variation in letter shapes and sizes, which helps to convey emotion and tone.
- Exaggerated Characters: The characters in comic fonts are often exaggerated with unique and quirky designs. This helps to give them a playful and fun feel.
- Sound Effects Lettering: Comic fonts often include special styles or characters for representing sound effects (e.g., “BOOM”, “POW”). These are typically large, bold, and stylized.
- Use of All Caps: In traditional comic book lettering, it’s common for all of the letters to be in capitals. This is in part because it’s easier to fit capital letters into the square word balloons used in comics.
- Irregular Baselines: Unlike more traditional fonts where all characters sit on a regular baseline, characters in comic fonts often have an irregular baseline which helps to give them a more dynamic and spontaneous feel.
- Expressive: Perhaps the most important characteristic of comic fonts is their expressiveness. Through the use of bold strokes, varied letter sizes, and unique character design, comic fonts can help to convey a wide range of emotions and tones, making them an integral part of the storytelling process in comics.
Best Comic Fonts in Canva
Sriracha is a handwriting-style typeface that is legible and clear, despite its loose, casual aesthetic. Its characters have a slightly condensed shape and upright stance, with a uniform stroke width that gives it a consistent rhythm.
2. Comic Sans
Comic Sans is a sans-serif casual script font designed by Vincent Connare and released by Microsoft in 1994. It was intended to mimic comic book lettering and is known for its informal and playful feel. Despite its initial popularity, it has become controversial due to its overuse in inappropriate contexts.
3. Some Time Later
Some Time Later is a bold font that is inspired by the title cards of the classic cartoon “SpongeBob SquarePants.” It’s playful and fun, with irregular shapes and sizes for different letters, giving it a unique, hand-drawn appearance.
4. Freckle Face
Freckle Face is a fun and playful font with a child-like aesthetic. Its design is simple and straightforward, with each character appearing as if it’s been quickly and lightly hand-drawn. It’s often used for headlines or other large text where an informal, light-hearted feel is desired.
Storybook is a decorative script font. Its letters often have flowing, exaggerated strokes and it is reminiscent of old-style book covers or fairy tale illustrations. It’s often used for headlines and other large text where an ornamental, old-fashioned feel is desired.
6. Lilita One
Lilita One is a bold, chunky font with a playful and somewhat cartoony feel. It features a mix of rounded and rectangular shapes, giving it a unique, stylized look.
7. Crafty Girls
Crafty Girls is a playful and whimsical font that mimics the look of casual handwriting. The letters are tall and narrow, and they lean to the right as if written quickly with a loose hand.
8. Gochi Hand
Gochi Hand is a handwritten font with a casual and playful feel. It’s characterized by its irregular shapes and sizes, which give it a spontaneous, hand-drawn appearance.
Lacquer is a bold, sans-serif typeface that is all about high impact. Its heavy weight and compact letterforms make it perfect for headlines and other large text.
Mansalva is a playful and casual font that has a hand-drawn feel. It features slightly irregular shapes and sizes that give it a spontaneous and whimsical appearance.
I hope you found this guide covering the best comic fonts in Canva, useful! Be sure to check out our blog for more article covering the essential tips, tricks, and advice for Canva! Also, if you haven’t already tried CanvaPro, you can try it for free for 30 days!