Canva Templates is reader supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Great graphic design is powered by great font selection. But picking great fonts is a challenge for most people. Luckily, Canva has made adding great fonts to your designs much easier. In this tutorial, our team of design experts will cover the best collegiate fonts in Canva.
What are Collegiate Fonts?
Collegiate fonts, often associated with sports and academic institutions, have distinctive characteristics that make them recognizable and suitable for various designs. Here are some common characteristics of collegiate fonts:
- Bold and Blocky: Collegiate fonts are typically bold and feature blocky or slab-serif letterforms. This boldness conveys strength and impact.
- All Caps: Most collegiate fonts are designed in all capital letters, giving them a powerful and commanding appearance.
- Serifs or Block Serifs: Many collegiate fonts have prominent serifs or block serifs, which add to their robust and classic look.
- Tall and Upright: These fonts often have tall letterforms that stand upright, emphasizing stability and tradition.
- Wide Letter Spacing: Collegiate fonts often have wide letter spacing, making them easy to read from a distance, which is important in sports and signage.
- Minimal Flourishes: While they can be decorative, collegiate fonts tend to have fewer ornamental elements compared to other fonts, maintaining a clean and straightforward design.
- Vintage Aesthetics: Some collegiate fonts have a vintage or retro aesthetic, harking back to classic sports and academic traditions.
- Numeric Variants: Collegiate fonts often include special numeric variants, particularly for sports jerseys and team uniforms.
- Limited Ligatures: Ligatures (the joining of certain letter pairs) are typically minimal or absent in collegiate fonts.
- Versatility: These fonts are versatile and can be used for various applications, including team logos, posters, banners, and more.
Best Canva Collegiate Fonts
1. Bebas Neue
Bebas Neue is a tall and condensed sans-serif font that’s often used for headers and titles in sports and academic contexts.
2. Costa Rica
Bison Light fonts feature light, uppercase letterforms with a timeless and classic appeal.
3. Yearbook Outline
Yearbook Outline is an outlined, blocky font reminiscent of classic yearbook or collegiate designs. It conveys a retro, vintage, or academic vibe.
4. Racing Sans One
Racing Sans One is a sans-serif typeface with a sporty, dynamic vibe. It features squared shapes with thick to thin contrast, reminiscent of speed and movement.
Sunborn is a font that brings to mind a sunny, cheerful feeling with rounded, flowing characters. It is best suited for designs that require a casual, friendly look.
Play is a sans-serif typeface with a casual, youthful vibe. Its rounded shapes and simple lines make it readable and versatile.
7. Magnolia Script
Magnolia Script is a flowy, elegant script font with a slight vintage feel. It’s great for wedding invitations, logos, and other elegant designs.
Organic is a font with a natural and minimalist aesthetic. The font is characterized by fluid, irregular shapes, inspired by elements from the natural world.
9. Bungee Shade
Bungee Shade is a display font that features a unique 3D shading effect. The characters appear as if they are popping out of the page, with a shadow cast below them. The font has a bold and playful style, with rounded edges and thick strokes. It is designed to be attention-grabbing and is well-suited for use in headings, titles, and other large text settings.
Magz is a sans-serif font designed by Fontfabric. It has a modern and minimalistic look with clean lines and rounded edges. The letters are slightly condensed with a generous x-height, making it easy to read even at small sizes.
I hope you found this guide covering the best collegiate fonts in Canva, useful! Be sure to check out our blog for more article covering the essential tips, tricks, and advice for Canva! Also, if you haven’t already tried CanvaPro, you can try it for free for 30 days!