Disclosure: Some of the links in this article may be affiliate links, meaning that at no additional cost to you, I will receive a commission if you click through and make a purchase. Read our full affiliate disclosure here.
Great graphic design is powered by great font selection. But picking great fonts is a challenge for most people. Luckily, Canva has made adding great fonts to your designs much easier. In this tutorial, our team of design experts will cover the best number fonts in Canva.
What are Number Fonts?
Number fonts, like other types of fonts, come in a wide variety with distinct characteristics. Here are some common characteristics of number fonts:
- Style: Number fonts can have various styles, including serif, sans-serif, script, handwritten, decorative, and more. The style of the font greatly influences the overall look and feel of the numbers.
- Legibility: Legibility is crucial for number fonts, especially when they are used in contexts like body text, data tables, or signage. The clarity and ease of reading the numbers should not be compromised.
- Proportion: Some number fonts have proportional figures, meaning each number takes up a different amount of horizontal space. Others have monospaced figures, where each number has the same width. Monospaced fonts are often used in coding or tabular data where alignment is important.
- Weight: Number fonts can have different weights, ranging from thin to bold. The weight of the font affects how prominent the numbers appear and can be chosen to match the design’s aesthetic.
- Serifs: Serifs are the small lines or strokes that extend from the ends of characters. Fonts with serifs are called serif fonts, while those without are sans-serif fonts. Serif fonts are often used for numbers in formal or traditional contexts, while sans-serif fonts are more modern and versatile.
- Height and Size: The height of the numbers and their size relative to the rest of the text can vary. Some fonts have tall numbers, while others have short or condensed numbers. The size of the numbers should be appropriate for the design’s purpose and readability.
- Decimals and Fractions: Some number fonts include special characters for decimals and fractions, which can be important for scientific or technical documents.
- Special Characters: Depending on the font, number fonts may include special characters like currency symbols, mathematical operators, or additional styles of numbers, such as old-style figures.
- Embellishments: Decorative number fonts may have embellishments, flourishes, or unique design elements that make the numbers visually appealing but may not be suitable for all contexts.
- Context and Intention: The choice of number font should align with the overall design context and intention. For example, a vintage-themed project might use retro-style number fonts, while a contemporary website might opt for a sleek and modern number font.
Best Number Fonts in Canva
1. Playfair Display
Playfair Display is a stylish serif font with distinctive letterforms, suitable for numbers in high-end design projects, such as invitations and luxury branding.
Raleway is a modern and minimalist sans-serif font, and it is a popular choice for numbers in web design, user interfaces, and digital content.
3. Libre Baskerville
Libre Baskerville is a classic serif font with elegant, well-proportioned numbers, often chosen for numbers in fine print, books, and formal documents.
Rockwell is a slab-serif font is bold and distinctive, making it suitable for eye-catching numbers in headings, banners, and posters.
Univers is a clean and readable sans-serif font that’s commonly used for numbers in academic publications, textbooks, and technical documents.
Avenir is a clean and elegant sans-serif font that can be used for numbers in a variety of applications, including branding and print materials.
Roboto is a modern sans-serif font is designed for readability on screens, making it a great choice for digital applications where numbers need to be displayed clearly.
Garamond is a classic serif font known for its elegance and readability. It is often used for numbers in books and other printed materials.
9. Bodoni FLF
Bodoni is a stylish serif font with high contrast between thick and thin strokes. It is often chosen for numbers in fashion and luxury contexts.
Nunito is a balanced, sans-serif typeface family. It features rounded terminals and a soft, friendly aesthetic. It’s designed to work well in both text and display sizes, making it a versatile choice for many types of projects, including those with numbers.
I hope you found this guide covering the best number fonts in Canva, useful! Be sure to check out our blog for more article covering the essential tips, tricks, and advice for Canva! Also, if you haven’t already tried CanvaPro, you can try it for free for 30 days!