Canva Templates is reader supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Great graphic design is powered by great font selection. But picking great fonts is a challenge for most people. Luckily, Canva has made adding great fonts to your designs much easier. In this tutorial, our team of design experts will cover the best meme fonts in Canva.
What are Meme Fonts?
Meme fonts, often associated with humorous or internet-inspired content, are used to create memes and other online visuals. While there isn’t a single universally recognized “meme font,” meme text often shares some common characteristics:
- Large and Bold: Meme text is typically large and bold to make it easily readable and attention-grabbing, especially when viewed on small screens.
- Impact Font: The Impact font is one of the most commonly associated typefaces with memes. It’s a bold, sans-serif font known for its heavy weight and high visibility. Other bold sans-serif fonts may also be used.
- White or Black Outline: Meme text is often outlined in either white or black to make it stand out against various background colors.
- All Caps: Meme text is usually written in all capital letters to emphasize the text and give it a “shouty” or bold tone.
- Sarcasm and Humor: Meme text often conveys sarcasm, irony, or humor. The font choice and style are intentionally exaggerated to enhance the comedic effect.
- Impactful Phrasing: Meme text tends to use short, impactful phrases or captions to quickly convey a message or punchline.
- Line Spacing and Letter Spacing: Meme text may have tight letter spacing and line spacing, contributing to a condensed appearance that suits the style of humor.
- Variations and Distortions: Some memes intentionally distort or warp the text, creating a humorous or chaotic effect. This can include stretching, skewing, or tilting the text.
- Multiple Fonts: Some memes incorporate multiple fonts in a single image to create visual contrast or to emphasize different parts of the text.
- Digital Aesthetic: Meme fonts typically have a digital, screen-friendly appearance. They are designed to be easily read and shared online.
Best Meme Fonts in Canva
Rockwell is a sturdy and bold slab-serif font that can be employed in memes when a strong, serious, or retro look is desired.
2. Squada One
Bodoni MT is a classic serif font with high contrast between thick and thin lines, making it suitable for memes that aim for a more sophisticated or elegant appearance.
Bebas Neue is a bold and stylish sans-serif font often used in memes for its modern and eye-catching design.
Stencil is a font that mimics the appearance of text created with stencils. It’s often used in memes to convey a military or industrial aesthetic.
Broadway is a decorative and bold font with a theatrical and vintage feel, commonly used in memes to add drama or flair to text.
Blinker is a sans-serif typeface that is geometric and slightly condensed. It gives a modern, clean, and straightforward aesthetic suitable for both headers and body text.
7. HK Grotesk Pro
HK Grotesk Pro is a sans-serif typeface inspired by classic grotesques. It is known for its readability and versatility. It features nice, open counters and slightly condensed letters, making it suitable for both text and display use.
8. Cerebri Sans Bold
Cerebri Sans is a neo-grotesque sans-serif typeface with geometric aesthetics. It’s known for its excellent legibility and clean, modern appearance. The bold variant is particularly strong and assertive.
9. Open Sans
Open Sans is a humanist sans-serif typeface designed by Steve Matteson. It’s known for its wide apertures and large x-height, which contribute to its legibility and clarity at small sizes. It is neutral yet friendly and is suitable for a wide variety of applications.
Nunito is a balanced, sans-serif typeface family. It features rounded terminals and a soft, friendly aesthetic. It’s designed to work well in both text and display sizes, making it a versatile choice for many types of projects.
I hope you found this guide covering the best meme fonts in Canva, useful! Be sure to check out our blog for more article covering the essential tips, tricks, and advice for Canva! Also, if you haven’t already tried CanvaPro, you can try it for free for 30 days!