Canva Templates is reader supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Great graphic design is powered by great font selection. But picking great fonts is a challenge for most people. Luckily, Canva has made adding great fonts to your designs much easier. In this tutorial, our team of design experts will cover the best book cover fonts in Canva.
What are Book Cover Fonts?
Book cover fonts should be carefully chosen to convey the tone and genre of the book. Key characteristics to consider include:
- Legibility: The font should be easy to read both in print and on a screen. Avoid overly decorative or complex scripts that can make the title difficult to decipher.
- Relevance: The font should match the genre and subject matter of the book. For example, a horror novel may use a gothic or eerie font, while a romance novel might opt for a more cursive, elegant typeface.
- Distinctiveness: Choose a font that sets the book apart from others in the same genre. A unique or custom font can help create a memorable cover.
- Size and Hierarchy: Use font sizes and styles to create a clear visual hierarchy. The title should be prominent, followed by the author’s name and other text. This helps guide the reader’s eye.
- Consistency: Use the same font for the title and author’s name across all marketing materials to build brand recognition.
- Color: The color of the font should complement the overall color scheme of the book cover. It should be easily visible against the background.
- Mood: The font should evoke the mood of the book. For instance, a playful, handwritten font might be suitable for a children’s book, while a bold, sans-serif font could work well for a thriller.
- Balance: Ensure that the font’s style and size balance with the cover’s artwork and layout. It should not overwhelm or get lost in the design.
- Space: Use negative space effectively to give the font room to breathe and make it stand out.
- Branding: If you are an established author, using a consistent font for all your book covers can help create a recognizable brand.
Best Book Cover Fonts in Canva
1. Zico Sans
Zico Sans is a versatile and modern sans-serif font with a slightly geometric design and excellent readability. Its clean lines and contemporary appearance make it suitable for a wide range of applications, including branding, web design, and editorial content.
2. Lato Bold
Lato Bold is a variant of the popular Lato sans-serif font, featuring a heavier weight and strong, clear letterforms. Its clean lines and modern design make it suitable for various applications, such as branding, web design, and editorial content.
Gordita is a minimal, geometric sans-serif typeface. It’s known for its balance between friendly, approachable curves and confident, steady shapes. It is designed to work well in both text and display sizes.
Univers is a classic, neo-grotesque sans-serif typeface designed by Adrian Frutiger. It’s known for its clean, minimalist design and a wide range of weights and widths, making it highly versatile.
Raleway is an elegant, sans-serif typeface family. It’s characterized by its verticality and uniform stroke width. The uppercase has a unique design with a special ‘w’ and ‘v’ that makes it distinctive.
Blinker is a sans-serif typeface that is geometric and slightly condensed. It gives a modern, clean, and straightforward aesthetic suitable for both headers and body text.
7. HK Grotesk Pro
HK Grotesk Pro is a sans-serif typeface inspired by classic grotesques. It is known for its readability and versatility. It features nice, open counters and slightly condensed letters, making it suitable for both text and display use.
8. Cerebri Sans Bold
Cerebri Sans is a neo-grotesque sans-serif typeface with geometric aesthetics. It’s known for its excellent legibility and clean, modern appearance. The bold variant is particularly strong and assertive.
9. Open Sans
Open Sans is a humanist sans-serif typeface designed by Steve Matteson. It’s known for its wide apertures and large x-height, which contribute to its legibility and clarity at small sizes. It is neutral yet friendly and is suitable for a wide variety of applications.
10. Seol Sans
Seol Sans is a modern, minimalist Korean sans-serif font that emphasizes simplicity and readability. With its clean and uniform strokes, this font is ideal for contemporary designs, user interfaces, and digital applications where legibility is key.
I hope you found this guide covering the best book cover fonts in Canva, useful! Be sure to check out our blog for more article covering the essential tips, tricks, and advice for Canva! Also, if you haven’t already tried CanvaPro, you can try it for free for 30 days!